What are Your Rights?

If you have been injured in an accident or incident of any kind, take a look at some very important steps that should be taken within the very first few hours and days after the event took place.

  1. Give the police detailed information of what took place.
    If the police are involved give them a detailed description as to how the accident or incident took place.
  2. Take and record names and addresses of people involved as well as witnesses.
    Obtain the names and addresses of all persons involved in the accident or incident as well as any witnesses to the accident or incident.
  3. Visit your family doctor and inform him or her of your injury .
    Seek medical attention from your doctor or at a hospital if necessary.
  4. Call your motor insurance company as soon as you can after a car accident.
    If you have been involved in an automobile accident notify your automobile insurer.
  5. Your employer or school should be notified.
    If you are out of work as the result of the accident notify your employer.
  6. Keep notes of insurance information
    You should communicate with a personal injury or accident lawyer as soon as possible after the accident or incident occurred. You may have concerns about the cost involved in speaking to a lawyer. Most lawyers will provide a free initial consultation. Most accident lawyers do not require payment up front. The lawyers generally take the accident cases on a contingency basis. They take a percentage of any amounts of money recovered. They do not get paid unless they obtain a monetary recovery. When you first speak to a lawyer make sure you ask about their costs and legal fees.
  7. Keep all receipts of related expenses.
  8. Have family members or friends keep a record of dates and times they have cared for the injured person.
  9. Communicate with a personal injury lawyer to know what your rights are.

Types of Claims

  • Motor vehicles including cars, motorcycles, planes, boats, trains, snowmobiles, ATVs and other motor vehicles.
  • Slip and fall accidents upon private or public property.
  • Injuries that are caused by defective products – these are called Product Liability claims.
  • Medical negligence or malpractice claims against a doctor or supplier of medical service.

Where should I begin?

You will want to know if you actually have a claim. If you are involved in an accident and are injured, you might have the right to file a claim against the individual who caused or may have contributed to your injury. Many claims are covered by insurance.

What Happens If I Caused the Accident?

If you happen to be injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be entitled to accident benefits paid by your insurance company, even if the accident happens to be your fault.

What if an automobile accident caused my injury?

If you were injured in an automobile accident you may have a tort claim against the driver who is at fault.

  • Tort Claim is where a there is a claim against the driver who is at fault. The system for getting compensation is quite complicated. If you request our help, our experienced team of personal injury legal professionals can help obtain the compensation you deserve.

Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

  • How and when to communicate with the insurance company
  • How should I complete the forms that need to be filled out?
  • What happens if the injured is not able to make decisions due to the injury itself?
  • What to do if I’m at fault of an accident?
  • What if I am unable to take care of myself, daily activities or others due to incapacity?
  • Will the accident affect my future insurance rates?
  • What if I was working when the accident occurred?

Time Restrictions

  • In Massachusetts there is a statute of limitations that governs the time within you must start a law suit if you have been injured in an automobile accident. It is three years from the date of the accident.

It is important that you contact the office of Raipher, P.C. at 413-746-4400. Raipher Pellegrino is an experienced accident litigator.

Call (413) 746-4400